Clinical Consent: Buhrs Physiotherapist Inc & Herbst JA Biokineticist Inc
Please read these terms and conditions carefully, as they are important in clarifying and managing expectations and form the basis of your consent to treatment. If you have any questions, please contact your administrator or healthcare practitioner through the App, who will assist you with your query.
Online Exercise Programme
- The progress of your physical recovery will be monitored through the App. You will first be assessed by a physiotherapist through the App. A biokineticist or physiotherapist will then prepare an exercise programme for you, which will be loaded onto your profile on the App after your first session with the biokineticist or physiotherapist. The exercise programme will be designed to improve your recovery.
- It will consist of several sessions, specific to your needs. The programme is typically for 4 weeks and may be extended for an additional 4-week period should this be recommended. 1-week programmes may also be recommended. Your exercise sessions will be scheduled on the App. You will be monitored remotely by a team of biokineticists and/or physiotherapists, in an asynchronous manner. This means that you will not be monitored in real-time but may have a real-time consultation with a practitioner from time to time, should this be required. A video of your exercises will not be stored, although the completion of your pain scores and compliance with the programme will be reviewed regularly. While we will try to ensure that the same practitioner monitors you during all your sessions, this may not always be possible. Different practitioners may, therefore, monitor you during the sessions.
- There will be no physical in-person contact with your attending practitioner (physiotherapist / biokineticist). Your evaluation will be done, and your progress monitored through the App only. If the attending practitioner is of the opinion that you need to consult a healthcare practitioner in person, you will be referred to an appropriate practitioner. We cannot be held responsible should you injure yourself while performing your exercises. Therefore, if you feel uncomfortable at any time during the exercises, you must immediately stop and contact the attending practitioner who will guide you further.
- The programme is not intended to replace, but rather complement any treatment that you are currently receiving. You may continue to consult your preferred healthcare practitioners while you follow the exercise programme on the App.
- The benefits of receiving the services on the App include the following:
- Lower cost than receiving in-person treatment;
- Performing the exercises in the comfort of your own space (such as your home) with no need to travel to a healthcare practitioner;
- Better outcomes compared to when exercises are done without monitoring by a healthcare practitioner;
- Higher patient satisfaction due to the feedback and support received through remote monitoring.
- It is important that you complete the exercise programme to fully benefit from it. If you do not keep up with the required frequency and accuracy of exercises you may experience poor outcomes
- It is also important that you follow the instructions precisely with every exercise and give accurate feedback on pain levels. Failure to do so may result in injury, strain, or pain. If you do not report your pain scale accurately on the App, the exercises prescribed may be inappropriate for you.
- Interactions with the physiotherapist and biokineticist will only occur through the App. To ensure that this can be done successfully, please ensure that the device you use is of good quality. You must also ensure that you have sufficient data, and that the data transmission speed is of good quality. Your device and data should meet the following requirements:
- Mobile phone or tablet
- Android – version 8.0 or later
- iPhone – iOS 15. 0 or later
- iPad – iPad OS 15.0 or later
- iPod touch – iOS 15. 0 or later
- Mac – Mac OS 12.0 or later with Apple M1 chip or later
- Data speed requirements: 4Mb per second or faster
- Mobile phone or tablet
- The costs for the services (evaluation, exercise programme and remote monitoring) are described in the document entitled “Financial Consent”. The costs of the device you use to run the App on and any data costs incurred to access the App and to engage with a practitioner remotely are for your own account.
- You should be aware that if you have an unstable internet connection while using the App, you may experience a time delay. There may also be a delay in feedback from the attending practitioner should your exercises not be updated. This may impact the evaluation of:
- your progression,
- assessment of your pain scores,
- range of your movement,
- compliance with the exercise program, and
- your comments to or requests for support from the attending practitioners.
- You have the right to refuse to receive services through the App. You may also terminate the remote services received through the App at any time. You should then consult a healthcare practitioner in person. You are obliged to inform your administrator or attending healthcare practitioner of your intention to terminate through the App.
- You should note in particular that by agreeing to receive the services through the App, your personal information will be shared with the attending healthcare practitioners, other healthcare practitioners who provide care to you, your medical scheme and your scheme’s contracted service providers, including its administrator. If you do not agree with this sharing of your information, you should not proceed with receiving the services through the App.
- The practitioners who will render the services to you are registered in South Africa. All services they provide will be rendered in South Africa even if you choose to do the exercises in another country. This consent shall be governed, construed, and enforced according to the laws of the Republic of South Africa in South Africa.
- If any change occurs in the legislation or enforceable policy that requires changes to the services delivered through the App, we will contact you regarding these changes.
- Any disputes that may arise from your use of the App and the services on the App, which we cannot resolve between ourselves, will be resolved by arbitration.
- I agree to the terms and conditions, which include being evaluated and re-evaluated by a physiotherapist or biokineticist, doing the exercises and being monitored virtually by a physiotherapist or biokineticist.
- I understand that I may withdraw from the programme at any time.
- I confirm that I am 18 years or older and mentally competent to agree to these terms and conditions and provide the consent.
- I consent of my own free will and confirm that I have not been forced or unduly influenced to provide the consent.